For the Market to operate as
it was designed, there are some important things you should know about parking.
The Market has been segmented into different parking areas for different types of vehicles. When you can use these areas will depend on the time within the trade cycle.
You should now have allocated parking for your truck or light commercial vehicle. All allocated parks are numbered, so they are easy to find.
To apply for parking, or to view parking allocations visit the ‘Parking permits’ page.
The map below outlines the different parking areas.
To make sure everyone has access to use the Market in the most efficient way, parking will be rotated through four district phases. These are outlined below.
|Period||Mon, Thu, Fri||Tue, Wed|
|Pre-Trade||10:00pm to 3:00am||10:00pm to 4:00am|
|Transition phase||3:00am to 3:30am||4:00am to 4:30am|
|Trade||3:30am to 7:30am||4:30am to 8:00am|
View the parking fact sheet for information about each phase.
How do loading bays work?
- Produce can only be delivered to retailer’s loading zones.
- Loading zones are either side of truck bays, or at the rear of light commercial vehicle bays.
- The loading zone is shared equally by the parking bay on either side.
- The use of shared loading bays must comply with OHS guidelines. Refer to the diagram below.
- Vehicles can’t share parking bays regardless of vehicle size.
- No 24 hour parking of forks/trucks allowed on any parking bay.
- Produce is not to be left on any loading bay outside of trade.
A summary of what vehicles are considered appropriate for each parking bay type is provided below.
Articulated truck parking bays
To have access to an articulated truck parking bay you must have an articulated trailer registered with VicRoads and the MMA. If you have an articulated truck and a registered rigid truck and they are not in the market on the same day you can park the rigid on the articulated truck bay. Parking light commercial vehicles (LCVs) or passenger vehicles on an articulated truck bay is strictly prohibited at any time.
Rigid truck parking bays
To have access to a rigid parkin gbay you must have a rigid truck registered with VicRoads and the MMA. If you have a rigid truck and a LCV and they are not in the Market on the same day you can park the LCV on rigid truck bay. Parking passenger vehicles on a rigid parking bay is strictly prohibited at any time.
Light commercial vehicle parking bays
To have access to a LCV parking bay you must have a LCV registered with VicRoads and the MMA. If you have a LCV and a utility, or similar commercial vehicle, and they are not in the Market on the same day you can park the utility on the LCV bay. Parking passenger vehicles on a LCV bay is strictly prohibited at any time.
Top tips for parking
- Familiarise yourself with the Market before arriving, either by using the smartphone app or maps.
- Once you are at the Market, look for signage – streets are numbered 1 to 9. All stores, stands and parking spaces are numbered.
- There are different areas for vehicles, forklifts and pedestrians – make sure you follow the signs.
- Make sure your parking permit is clearly on display. All vehicles must display a parking permit while within the Market.
- Parking permits are transferrable between vehicles registered under the same customer number.
- MMA warehousing (5 and 6) has unreserved loading zones available for dropping off and picking up produce.
- Each tenancy is allocated on passenger vehicle parking bay at the rear of warehouses 5 and 6.
- Propertylink warehousing (1 – 4, 8 and 9) parking is privately operated, with parking arranged through tenant leases.
- Trucks, forklifts or produce are not allowed to be stored on parking bays.
- A select number of 24 hour parking bays are available in P7 only. Contact the MMA for more information.